According to the Bible, Jesus washed his disciples’ feet before the Last Supper as a sign of humility and love. The day, widely referred to as ‘Holy Thursday’, also commemorates those events that took place on the night before Jesus’ crucifixion – known as ‘Good Friday’.
It is the fifth day of Holy Week, and is preceded by Holy Wednesday and followed by Good Friday.
In celebration of Maundy Thursday 2014, let’s take a look at some of the unique facts associated with this day and the Last Supper:
3. The special Eucharist commemoration on the Thursday of Holy Week was mentioned in the North African Council of Hippo’s documents as early as around 393 CE.
4. In olden days, Maundy Thursday was also known as Shear, Char, Shrift, and Sharp Thursday. It is believed that these names came into being from cutting or trimming hair or beards before Easter during the 14th Century.
5. The practice of washing other people’s feet is no longer common in some Protestant churches but many Catholic and Anglican churches still engage in this Maundy Thursday rite.
Here are the top 10 inspiring quotes, sayings and prayers about Holy Week and Easter to share:
1. “Merciful God, release us from the time of trial and oppression that we may witness to the eternal hope of grief becoming joy and life rising from death. Amen.” – Unknown
2. “Earth’s saddest day and gladdest day were just three days apart!” – Susan Coolidge
3. “The resurrection gives my life meaning and direction and the opportunity to start over no matter what my circumstances.” – Robert Flatt
4. “Easter spells out beauty. The rare beauty of new life.” – SD Gordon
5. “The story of Easter is the story of God’s wonderful window of divine surprise.” – Carl Knudsen
6. “For I remember it is Easter morn, and life and peace are all new born.” – Alice Freeman Palmer
7. “Awake, thou wintry earth – Fling off thy sadness! Fair vernal flowers, laugh forth Your ancient gladness!” – Thomas Blackburn, “An Easter Hymn”
8. “The story of Easter is the story of God’s wonderful window of divine surprise.” – Carl Knudsen
9. “Easter is the demonstration of God that life is essentially spiritual and timeless.” – Charles Crowe
10. “He takes men out of time and makes them feel eternity.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
To contact the editor, e-mail: email@example.com
- The rich man ought not be taxed at all~~Instead, the rich man ought be compelled to employ and train the poor man~~directly~~personally~~man to man~~
~~In sunshine and in shadow~~I hold tight to the Republican view of time and money~~I write night and day~~yet~~while impecunious~~I am vastly overpaid~~in that taking pay to do what I love is unfair~~to my employer~~in a fair system~~under such circumstances~~I should pay him~~not he me~~I am far, far too old a man to be sexually confused~~praise Jesus~~but I am yet young enough to be politically confused~~is anyone not~~in an absolute sense~~I am a Catholic Royalist~~in a practical sense~~I am a Classical Liberal~~a Gaullist~~a Bonapartist~~an American Nationalist Republican~~in either sense~~my head is soon for the chopping block~~to hasten my interlude with Madame La Guillotine~~I write without fear~and without favor of~any man~~~Non Sibi~~Finis Origine Pendet~~~Κύριε ἐλέησον~~Rejoice and Glad!!
~The Original Angry Bird~~The Catholic University of America Screaming Red Cardinal Mascot~~
Holy Week Thursday, 17th Day Of April, Now In Our Quadragesima, ~~ Anno Domini Nostri Iesu Christi, 2014 Website: http://johndanielbegg.wordpress.com
http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=122865699&trk=hb_tab_pro_top "Jean-Marie Le Pen is a friend. He is dangerous for the political set because he's the only one who's sincere. He says out loud what many people think deep down, and what the politicians refrain from saying because they are either too demagogic or too chicken. Le Pen, with all his faults and qualities, is probably the only one who thinks about the interests of France before his own."~~ French actor~~Alain Delon
CONCEPT OF THE CATHOLIC AND ROYAL ARMY OF AMERICA (CRAA)
|The Catholic University of America|
Motto~~Deus Lux Mea Est~~
Our Ubiquitous Presence
In office now 62 years on
Simply the best President we could ever hope to have~~